Consultation on changes to the education travel assistance policy
We are committed to supporting young people in realising their full potential and are consulting on proposed changes to the education travel assistance policy, which are intended to empower families and children to explore a range of travel assistance options. We consulted on these proposed changes between 1 September and 14 October 2022. The consultation is now closed, and the responses received will be considered to aid the decisions on adopting these policies. Once the adopted policies are finalised, they will be published.
- Education travel assistance policy (PDF - 308.13 KB)
- Post 16 education travel assistance policy (131.91 KB)
- 18+ adult learners education/training travel assistance policy (163.92 KB)
The key changes proposed include:
- The proposed introduction of flexible personal transport budgets to compliment the offer of a revised mileage payment scheme.
- An offer of direct support for young people with independent travel training including 1:1 training for those learners keen to develop their independence on public transport.
- The extension of transport contracts to reduce the amount of change associated with the commissioning of transport to reduce disruption for children and young people.
- Earlier commissioning so families have time to engage and meet operators ahead of the start of any unavoidable contract change.
- A visible transport team offering regular engagement with schools and families to ensure the transport offer meets our obligations and children’s needs.
You can contact us at A&T.email@example.com.