During the Covid-19 pandemic The Business and Planning Act was introduced to make it easier for premises serving food and drink to seat and serve customers outdoors through temporary changes to planning and licensing procedures.

The temporary provisions relating to Pavement Licences were made permanent on 31 March 2024 when Levelling Up and Regeneration Act amended the Business and Planning Act.

For further information, and to see the list of conditions, please read our Pavement Licensing Policy.

This policy will be reviewed from time to time should changes occur in relevant legislation, the nature of pavement café’s generally or as a result of local considerations within the borough.

If you wish to place tables and chairs on the public highway outside of your premises, you will need a pavement licence issued under these provisions.

A Pavement Licence allows the provision of tables and chairs for outdoor dining for food businesses only. Information regarding the licence required for other types of Street Trading can be found on our street trading licence webpage.

Pavement Licences are issued at Bromley Council's discretion, and we will refuse applications where there is not enough space on the pavement for your tables and chairs without causing disruption, obstruction, or inconvenience to other street users.

Tables and chairs on private forecourts do not require a street trading licence but the private forecourt must be associated with the main business.


The fee for applying for a new licence is £500 and renewals are £350. The licence will be valid for 1 year from issue.

The Pavement Licence will be issued subject to the conditions shown in the current Pavement Licensing Policy. Additionally, it will be subject to any mandatory conditions set by the Secretary of State in respect of pavement licences issued under these provisions.

Applications and payments for Pavement Licences will only be accepted online (via the link below), and all communication will be undertaken electronically.

We also require these documents to be submitted before we can process the application:

Documents required:

Plan – (see details below)

Public Liability Insurance (minimum of £5 million).

Photos / images of furniture

Plan criteria:

A plan clearly showing the proposed area covered by the licence in relation to the highway, if not to scale, with measurements clearly shown.

The plan must show the positions and number of the proposed tables and chairs, together with any other items that they wish to place on the highway.

The plan shall include clear measurements of, for example, pathway width/length, building width and any other fixed item in the proposed area.


Apply/renew and pay for a pavement licence


Address: Public Protection, Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 0300 303 8657