Residents considering making a claim are being advised to only use authorised claims management companies and not use unauthorised firms, with residents also able to make a claim independently.

The Trading Standards advice follows a recent incident where a resident was contacted by a claims management firm about housing repairs that falsely claimed they were calling on behalf of the London Borough of Bromley.

Claims management companies handle a range of claims for compensation or other benefits. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), or other legal regulators, regulate these businesses who can help you make a claim but will charge a fee, including on a no-win, no-fee basis. The FCA provides guidance on using claims management companies and how to check they are authorised.

Firms need to be authorised by the FCA if they are providing services for claims, including claims regarding financial services, personal injury, housing disrepair, criminal injury, or certain industrial injury benefits (legal regulators cover other fields e.g. solicitors). Visit the FCA website for details, including about the range of fees that can be charged by companies which are capped according to the level of the claim.

The FCA website also gives advice about how to claim as an individual. As part of this, residents are also advised to look to see if there is help or support available from reputable sources. For instance, tenants can report problems of disrepair to the council by using the council’s website.

Report and information

Protect yourself and others by reporting incidents.

If you receive a cold call - hang up.

Reduce unwanted calls with the free Telephone Preference Service.

Check whether a business is authorised using the FCA Financial Services Register, or on the FCA Warning List of unauthorised firms.

If you suspect a firm is unauthorised, report to the Financial Conduct Authority via their website or call 0800 111 6768.

Visit the FCA website to find out how to complain about an FCA authorised business.

Report problems with disrepair by visiting the Bromley Council website.

Contact Citizens Advice for help and advice on 0808 223 1133 or on the Citizens Advice website.

Bromley Trading Standards

To keep up with the latest scam alerts and warnings from Bromley Trading Standards sign up on

Bromley Trading Standards also runs a fair-trader directory to help you find a safe, reliable trader that you can trust, visit to learn more.

Published: 11th April 2024