Your waste is your responsibility

Whether you’re a resident or a business, please don’t give it to someone who can’t prove they are a legitimate waste carrier - they are likely to dump your rubbish to avoid paying waste disposal costs. Always obtain a waste transfer note as proof of the transfer to an authorised person.

Only use registered waste carriers

You could be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000 if you don’t.  

Find and check registered waste carriers or call the Environment Agency hotline 03708 506 506.

Follow the SCRAP code

Suspect: Be suspicious of cold callers / rogue traders

Check: Ask for their waste carrier registration details

Refuse: Always refuse cold callers offering to take your rubbish

Ask questions: Ask what is going to happen to your waste

Paperwork: Ask for a waste transfer note

Legal duty of care 

The Waste Regulations 2005 make householders legally responsible for ensuring their household rubbish is only passed on to an authorised person for disposal. The legislation is designed to help reduce the amount of dumped rubbish or fly tipping.  

Householders have a duty of care and must take all reasonable measures to make sure household waste produced on their property is disposed of without endangering health or harming the environment.

This applies to any type of waste that is unsuitable for disposal in your dustbin and unable to be taken as part of the weekly household waste collections.

If illegally disposed of waste is traced to your household, you may be fined up to £5,000 in a Magistrates Court.

Trade or business waste 

If, as part of your trade or business, you collect or dispose of other peoples’ waste (like a gardener disposing of a customer’s garden waste, for example) you must register as waste carrier. If another person or company does this for you, you must check they are a legally registered waste carrier.  We operate a business waste service but you can choose to have a trade waste agreement with a private contractor. 

Can I dispose of my own bulky waste?

Yes - many organisations will collect bulky waste from you, and we have details of organisations that accept donations

Householders can also take bulky waste to Churchfields Road centre, Beckenham or the Waldo Road reuse and recycling centre for disposal - free of charge. (Soil, brick, rubble and construction DIY waste may be disposed of for a fee according to weight)

If you are unable to transport your waste to one of these sites, we will collect and dispose of large items for you for a fee.