Building Notice approval

Before you carry out building works to your home you may need Building Regulation approval.


A building notice (less detailed than full plans procedure) needs to be deposited at least two days before work starts. We do not approve plans that accompany a building notice, but we do inspect work on site for compliance with the regulations. A building notice cannot be used for commercial buildings. This option does not give you the same degree of protection as a full plans approval, and should only be used where the builder is familiar with the relevant regulations. You will not receive any notice indicating whether your proposal has been passed or rejected. However, you will be informed where the Building Control Surveyor finds that the work does not comply with the Regulations. If, before work begins or while work is in progress, the local authority requires further information such as structural design calculations or plans, you must supply the details requested.

Examples of suitable uses are as follows:

  • domestic internal alterations;
  • removal of a load-bearing wall;
  • small domestic extension;
  • alterations to domestic drainage;
  • fitting a new load-bearing bay window;
  • replacement windows.

Some buildings are exempt from Building Regulations. See domestic buildings exempt from Building Control for more information.


Fees vary

 Building control charges

How to apply

Use the Building Notice application form to apply for a Building Notice. For work involving a new building or ground floor extension, you should include a block plan setting out the extent of the work in relation to the boundaries and existing property.
For emailed applications, we will contact you to confirm the fee and take the payment once we have registered your application.

Building control

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 020 8313 4313