Domestic buildings exempt from building control

Some minor works are exempt from building regulations. Examples include:
•    conservatories
•    porches
•    carports, covered yards
•    new or extensions to small detached buildings and which contain no sleeping accommodation

If there is an electrical supply from the main house, an application for the electrical work will be required unless it's being self-certified by a registered competent person.

If you think your planned work is exempt, check with us first before you start the work.

More information

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. It provides advice for developers, homeowners and building control officers.

For more information, go to LABC Front Door for detailed advice on when you need building regulation approval.

Planning permission

Remember to check whether your building project also requires planning permission.
Planning advice and guidance | Planning advice and guidance | London Borough of Bromley

Building control

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 020 8313 4313