Licence regulations stipulate either a parent of the child performing or their curriculum teacher or a named chaperone is present at any place of performance. This is required to ensure that the child or young person is treated kindly; their health is not compromised and they remain safe. Bromley Council has a statutory duty to approve any person resident within the Local Authority who wishes to be licensed as a chaperone.

Who can act as a chaperone

Anyone wishing to act in the capacity of a chaperone, other than the child's parent or curriculum teacher , will require a licence. All chaperones must be licensed by the local authority in which they live and should be able to produce their licence if required to do so whenever they are working.

Chaperone's responsibilities

 Although the production company will be responsible for ensuring facilities meet the legal requirement for children, it is important to remember that the chaperone's overall responsibility is to the welfare of the child, and not to the director/producer.

  • A chaperone is expected to exercise the care a good parent might be reasonably expected to give.
  • except while they are in charge of an approved tutor, children must be under the supervision of the chaperone all the time they are at the place of performance.

To ensure that all requirements are being met, a representative of the council may carry out an inspection of any production taking place in the borough whenever children are part of the production.

How to apply

To become a registered chaperone to children in entertainment you will need to complete a chaperone licence application form. An invitation to training, and if necessary a DBS disclosure application form, will be sent to you on receipt of your online application.

The chaperone training is mandatory for all Bromley chaperones regardless of any safeguarding training already completed. This is in order to provide consistency and also because the chaperone training is specific to the entertainment industry.  However, during the current pandemic, group training sessions have been cancelled and we ask that you complete the NSPCC online training and submit your NSPCC training certificate to us when you apply for your chaperone licence.  We are reflecting this in the adjusted fees below by temporarily removing the fee we usually charge for training.  We unfortunately cannot reimburse you the NSPCC training fee which is £25.00.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) 

Upon completion of your DBS application form, you will need to contact us to arrange your ID document check. We are currently accepting scanned documnets due to the pandemic.  You will need to provide:

a) A recent photo – if not previously attached to the application

b) Your UK birth certificate, passport or driving licence. Two of these if possible.

c) A bank/utility/council tax bill, dated within the past three months (12 months for council tax) showing  your name and address. Two of these if only one of (b) is available.

The child employment officer (or an education welfare officer if the CEO is unavailable) will view these documents in order to complete the DBS application. 

Clearance can take 6 to 8 weeks (sometimes longer) to process.

The Local Authority no longer receives copies of your returned DBS. It is your responsibility to present your cleared DBS to the CEO at the Civic Centre.

Please email us (child performance) to book an appointment. 

Your DBS can be portable and automatically updated, if you choose to register this with the DBS update service. It is recommended that you do this if you intend to renew your licence at a later stage. 

Licence fees

Professional fee (licence only) - £10.00
Professional fee (licence plus DBS check) - £55.00
Volunteer fee (licence only) - £10.00
Volunteer fee (licence plus DBS check) - £15.00

What next 

You will receive your licence pending two satisfactory references; successful DBS and completion of the chaperone training. 

Renewing your licence

Your licence will run either for three years or until the expiry of your DBS check, whichever is sooner. Renewal of your licence is subject to the above procedure being repeated, but no new references will be necessary and the form you need to complete is the chaperone licence renewal form.

If your previous licence expired more than three months ago please complete a chaperone licence application.

Apply or renew chaperone licence

Complete the chaperone application

Further information

There is a range of leaflets about child employment or you can contact us for advice.

Worried about a child?

Everyone has a role to play in protecting children from abuse and neglect. Find out how to report your concerns.

Child performance

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley BR1 3UH