The Gambling Act came into force in September 2007, the London Borough of Bromley is a Licensing Authority. We will have the responsibility for issuing Gambling Premises Licences and a range of permits in the following premises:
- Bingo premises
- Betting Premises (including tracks (e.g. dog and horse racing)
- Adult Gaming Centres
- Family Entertainment centres
- Licensed premises where there are prize gaming machines (e.g. pubs and clubs).
Operator and personal licences for people working in the gambling industry will be issued by the Gambling Commission.
The Act makes it very clear that when we carry out our duties to licence premises and issue permits we have to bear in mind the following objectives:
- To prevent gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime and disorder or being used to support crime.
- To ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
- To protect children and other vulnerable persons being harmed or exploited by gambling
Bromley has relatively few gambling establishments and at present there are no casinos. The council has passed a "no casino resolution". This will prevent developments in the near future.
For further information, publications, guidance and advice can be found at the Gambling Commission
Licence and permit application forms are available from the Gambling Commission.
Schedule of gambling licence fees