Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ) – frequently asked questions

Now that the council states that a CPZ will progress, what can I do?

If you are within the CPZ boundary, there is no need to do anything until you receive a letter from us. This letter will advise you of the implementation process and how to apply for permits.

What is the cost of a permit for a CPZ and do they change each year?  

The costs are set each year for a CPZ and when consulting residents about a newly proposed zone we will inform them what the cost of residents/business and visitors permits will be. These rates may change year on year after review and are published on the website at parking permit information and price list.

How and where do I obtain my resident’s permit?

You can purchase a resident's permit online. Applicants must live in the area of the zone and must provide proof of residence and of vehicle ownership.

What do residents have to provide to prove they are eligible to apply for a parking permit?

Residents who permanently reside at an address in a Controlled Parking Zone and can provide evidence are eligible for a permit. A copy of one utility bill listed must be provided (dated within the last three months):

• Gas

• Electric

• Water

• TV licence

• Home insurance

• Most recent council tax bill will be accepted

A driving licence will not be accepted as proof of residency.

Can I pay for my permit in instalments?

No, we do not have payment plan options.

Can residents buy more than one permit/ Is there a maximum on the number of permits a household can buy?

Residents can buy as many permits as they wish, provided they can prove ownership of each vehicle and can provide satisfactory evidence of their address.

Do I need a permit if I want to park my motorbike, moped or scooter?

Yes, we will issue residential parking permits to applicants who own a passenger or goods-carrying vehicle that does not exceed 5.25 metres in overall length, a motorcycle over 49cc, or an invalid carriage (mopeds 49cc and below are exempt).

What about visitors wanting to park within the controlled hours?

Residents can purchase visitor permits for their guests. These can be ordered online on the  My account ( page. Visitors wishing to park in controlled parking zones can also pay and park in any available pay to park bays.

I regularly have carers and medical professionals visiting me at my home, do they need a permit?

Bromley does not offer carers permits nor a medical professional permit option. If they are going to park in a permit bay during the restricted period, they will need to display a valid visitor voucher.

Does paying for a permit guarantee a parking space?

No, paying for a permit does not guarantee a parking space. However, it does allow the holder of such a permit to park in any bay where permits can be used within the zone.

Are businesses eligible to buy permits to park within all controlled parking zones?

Businesses are eligible for business permits in some CPZ zones, but not all. Please check the permit information and price list.

How long do the permits last?

Resident permits are valid for one year from the date they are approved.

Is it possible for residents to buy permits for less than a year? For example, three /six months?

No, Bromley Council only issue 12 month annual permits.

What format do the resident permits and visitor vouchers come in?

Resident permits are electronic and are instantly issued online whilst the visitor vouchers are hard copies and will be posted to residents. Visitor vouchers should be validated correctly and displayed clearly on the dashboard when used.

What happens if I change my vehicle or address during the validity period of the resident permit?

Change of address or vehicle, including temporary or courtesy vehicles

  • You will need to surrender the permit if you change your address or cease to own or use the vehicle for which the permit was issued.
  • If you change your vehicle, you will need to amend your details online My account ( immediately.
  • If you do not yet have the vehicle registration document (V5C), we can arrange temporary cover for your vehicle if you provide a copy of the bill of sale immediately and the VQ5 within one month.
  • If you have the use of a temporary or courtesy vehicle, you must change your details online immediately.

Refunds: If you wish to cancel your permit, a refund will be made for any full unexpired months from date of receipt of refund request.

Can residents who live in a CPZ buy visitor permits even if they don’t have a resident  parking permit?


Do visitor vouchers expire?

No, they don’t have an expiry date.

Can non-residents of a CPZ with Blue Badges park in permit bays in the CPZ?

No, blue badge holders cannot park within permit bays in the borough.Bromley Council's blue badge team issues a booklet that accompanies the blue badge and advises on where blue badge users can park throughout the borough.

What hours and days will the CPZ scheme operate?

The operational days and hours of a CPZ depend on the time when people experience the most parking challenges CPZ details can be found at My account (

What happens if I want to apply for a disabled bay or I am in the process of doing so already?

If your circumstances change and you require a disabled bay, you can follow the application process. If the disabled bay is approved, it will be marked and signed, and the council will remove a permit holder space if required. Disabled bays are not for your sole use even if it is in front of your property. Any blue badge holder may use the bay.

What happens to my white H-Bar road marking when the new controlled parking zone (CPZ) happens?

When a new CPZ comes into effect, the H-Bar marking outside your property will be removed. In this case, the advisory white H-Bar marking will be replaced with an enforceable single yellow line. This means that drivers will no longer be able to park across the dropped kerb, as it is now subject to parking restrictions during the CPZ operational times.

How often does the council increase parking charges?

Permit prices and other parking charges are reviewed every two years.