Residential permits - terms and conditions
1. Permit information
Definition of a residential parking permit
A residential parking permit allows the holder to park in permit bays in the relevant zone during the restricted period. Details of the permit can be verified by a Civil Enforcement Officer through the vehicle registration number.
Residential permit zones
Please check the parking permit information and price list for residential permit availability and prices.
2. Who can apply and what needs to be provided
We will issue residential parking permits to applicants:
(a) who permanently reside at an address in the permit parking zone and can provide evidence, and
(b) who own a passenger or goods-carrying vehicle that does not exceed 5.25 metres in overall length, a motorcycle over 49cc, or an invalid carriage (mopeds 49cc and below are exempt).
Note: The planning conditions for some new build housing schemes do not allow residents to apply for a residential parking permit. Applications will be cross checked with the relevant parties, registers, databases, etc.
Proof of residence (as below for new applications - for renewals, check your reminder)
A copy of one utility bill shown below must be provided (dated within the last 3 months):
- TV licence
- Home insurance
- Most recent Council Tax bill will be accepted
Note: A Driving Licence will not be accepted as proof of residency.
Not yet moved in?
If you have not yet moved to the address in your application, please provide a letter from your solicitor confirming completion date or tenancy agreement.
3. Your vehicle details and what you need to provide
Proof of vehicle ownership (as below for new applications - for renewals, check your reminder)
Please provide one of the following:
- Your vehicle: a copy of the vehicle registration document (V5C).
- Company vehicle: (if registered to the company) a letter of authority on letter headed paper signed by an executive or director confirming the vehicle details and that you have exclusive use of the vehicle.
- Leased vehicle: a copy of the agreement which must be with a reputable organisation. Your name and address must match those of the hirer as shown on the agreement. If you change or renew the lease, please inform us immediately and provide a copy of the new agreement.
- Bill of sale: if you have purchased a vehicle and are not yet the registered keeper, we will accept a bill of sale and allow 1 month after change of vehicle for you to provide a copy of the V5C.
Permit valid only for the named vehicle
A permit is valid only for the specific vehicle registration given in the application. Failure to insert a vehicle registration mark correctly may result in the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice.
We will reject your application if:
The name and address on the vehicle registration document (V5C) does not match the proof of residence or name given in the application.
4. Prevention of fraud
5. How long can I have my permit for?
Length of permit and renewals
The permit will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
It is your responsibility to renew the permit on its expiry.
If you wish to renew your permit, please apply at least 21 days before the current permit expires.
6. Where can I use my permit?
- The vehicle must be parked in a marked bay or area within the respective zone, where the signage indicates parking is for resident permit holders only, or a shared use bay when restricted for resident permit holders only.
- A permit does not enable you to park in designated permit holders’ spaces where the signs indicate the zone is different to that which the permit was issued for, or on yellow line waiting restrictions, or in pay by phone bays (unless otherwise stated).
- Pay by phone bays which also have permit holder ‘Conditions apply’: The conditions relating to these bays are that Zone A permit holders may only park free of charge between the hours of 8:30am to 9:30am and 4:30pm to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday and all day Sunday.
- A permit does not grant you the right to park outside your home or guarantee the availability of a parking space.
- The council reserves the right to suspend any parking bay as required.
7. Changes to any details and refunds
Change of address or vehicle, including temporary or courtesy vehicles
- You must surrender the permit if you change your address or cease to own or use the vehicle for which the permit was issued.
- If you change your vehicle, you will need to amend your details online immediately.
- If you do not yet have the vehicle registration document (V5C), we can arrange temporary cover for your vehicle if you provide a copy of the bill of sale immediately and the VQ5 within one month.
- If you have the use of a temporary or courtesy vehicle, you must change your details online immediately.
If you wish to cancel your permit, a refund will be made for any full unexpired months.
8. Important information
- It is a criminal offence if, with intent to deceive, you knowingly make a false statement or mishandle or forge documents to get a residential parking permit for yourself or others. The council may prosecute under the Theft Acts or other relevant criminal legislation.
- Failure to have a valid permit or inform us of a change of vehicle or address may result in the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice.
- The council reserves the right to withhold or withdraw a permit.
- Residents are not permitted to sell or transfer a permit to other parties.