Noise is part of everyday life, but excessive noise can be a real nuisance. There has been a marked increase in the number of noise complaints we receive. Currently, we deal with approximately 4000 reports every year. We can help with most problems, complaints or enquiries concerning residential and commercial noise.

If you are being affected by a noise nuisance, contact us and we can give advice and take action when appropriate.

When can we take action

  • domestic noise like amplified music, parties, barking dogs or noise from DIY
  • commercial noise from pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, shops or warehouses
  • industrial noise
  • construction and demolition noise
  • intruder alarms and car alarms

    Report a noise problem

    Notify us about a noise problem, please provide contact details in case we need to contact you.

    Advice and further information

    Legally, we cannot take action on all types of noise, but we can always give advice on noise problems such as aircraft noise and rail noise. Case Law from the House of Lords states that noise from the ordinary use of residential premises cannot be considered a nuisance, such as:

    • footsteps;
    • dropping objects;
    • light switches being switched on/off;
    • general talking;
    • doors closing;
    • toilet flushing;
    • babies crying;
    • children playing;
    • kitchen appliances - washing machines, blenders etc.


    Mediation can be a solution to the problem. Council and housing association tenants may be able to access this service via their relevant housing office. Private tenants and owner-occupiers will have to pay for this service.

Public protection

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450