Consent from Bromley Council is required to erect scaffolding that obstructs the public highway in connection with either: 

  •  Any building or demolition work
  • The alteration, repair, maintenance or cleaning of a building

This permission is given by granting a temporary highway licence. 

Any scaffolding on a Bromley highway that: 

  • Is unlicenced
  • Is placed on the Highway in contravention of the licence conditions
  • Is longer that the linear length that it was licenced for
  • Has damaged or altered the Highway in any way.

May result in the responsible person/applicant incurring a penalty charge and/or a request that the scaffolding is removed.

The responsibility for obtaining and following all regulations and fulfilling the conditions of the licence is the sole responsibility of the applicant. 

Types of scaffolding

This licence applies to scaffolding that is attached to the outside of a building, with wooden planks and metal poles, which are used by workmen whilst repairing, or cleaning the building. Smaller temporary structures with wheels that can be erected at the start of each working day and then taken down again (such as scaffolding towers) are classed as mobile scaffolding and you should apply for a mobile scaffolding licence.

When do I need a licence

You will require a temporary highway licence from Bromley Council for any scaffolding that is on one of the following for any period of time:

  • Any public highway over which Bromley Council has authority and maintains at the public expense
  • Any unadopted road upon which Bromley Council must ensure that the public have a ‘right of passage’ and the ability to pass and repass

You will not require a licence on private roads where public access is restricted or controlled.

Transport for London is responsible for licensing any skip on a TfL Red Route within the borough, which are:

  • The A21 (starts on the borough Boundary with Lewisham on London Road, and comprises Tweedy Road, Kentish Way, Masons Hill, Bromley Common, Hastings Road, Farnborough Common, Farnborough Way and Sevenoaks Road before finishing within the borough at Hewitts Roundabout)
  • The A232 (starts on the borough boundary with Croydon at Wickham Road and comprises West Wickham High Street, Glebe Way and Croydon Road before meeting the A21 at Farnborough Common)

All enquiries that relate to these locations should therefore be redirected to TfL - highway licences

In some cases the council may request a site meeting between the applicant and one of its enforcement officers to discuss the impact of the structure upon the use of the highway.

Will I require additional consent?

There are occasions when you may require either additional consent in order to be able to place scaffolding on the highway: 

  • If your scaffolding extends into any restricted parking bays, including permit bays, loading bays, short stay parking bays, pay and display bays, and car parks you will also need to apply to suspend the parking bay in question for the duration of the licence. Suspensions are not required for a free parking bay.
  • If the scaffold is linked to any connected highway works with a roadworks permit a temporary highway licence is only required if the scaffolding is to be placed outside of the agreed works area.

Site photos 

We recommend that for your own records photographs of the site are taken prior to the erection of the structure, should any queries arise about your scaffolding. 

Licence conditions

Once your application has been approved, you will be issued with a licence that will contain conditions to ensure that other highway users are safeguarded while the scaffolding is in-situ. We reserve the right to add extra conditions depending upon the location and nature of the scaffolding. If this applies to your application they will be listed under the special conditions of the licence.. 

Cost / renewal of licence

The scaffolding licence cost varies dependent on the linear length of the scaffolding. This is defined as the total distance of the scaffolding from one end pole to the other along the public highway. Please note that this includes any scaffolding that goes around the corner of a building. 

Length of scaffolding Cost
Up to 5 metres in linear length £239
Up to 10 metres in linear length £357
Over 10 metres in linear length £479

Please calculate the total length of the licence before applying and check the appropriate length on the form. 

Please allow two working days for your application to be processed. 

All licences are valid for a three month period. Any extension or renewal of the licence will require a new application which will be treated in exactly the same way as the first. 

If you wish to extend/renew your licence, please ensure you allow the council the two working days in order to process the application in good time before you wish the licence to start.


Please complete the scaffolding licence application form

Appeal a refused licence

Anyone who believes they have been unfairly refused a temporary highway licence can appeal.

Appeal a refused temporary highway licence

Data protection and privacy

For information on how we will use, process and store your personal data please see our privacy notice.