Banners and poppies

Consent from Bromley Council is needed to place/erect banners and poppies on or over the highway. This permission is given by granting a temporary highway licence.

Street furniture is any object or pieces of equipment installed along one of the council highways and includes benches, bollards, streetlamps and waste receptacles

When is a licence required

A licence covers

1. Banners in licenced locations . We only licence banners in:

a) Beckenham and Penge High Street on our licenced cross road fixings (these can be applied for on our online form)
b) On our park railings. Enquiries for these type of locations should be redirected to our grounds maintenance contractor idverde at (please do not apply to the council).

2. Poppies for Remembrance

You will require a licence in the following locations:

  • Any public highway over which Bromley Council has authority and maintains at the public expense. 
  • Any unadopted road upon which Bromley Council must ensure that the public have a 'right of passage' and the ability to 'pass and repass'.

You will not require a licence on private roads where public access is restricted or controlled. 

Transport for London is responsible for licensing any object that comes under the definition of this licence on a TfL Red Route within the borough, which are:

  • The A21 (starts on the borough Boundary with Lewisham on London Road, and comprises Tweedy Road, Kentish Way, Masons Hill, Bromley Common, Hastings Road, Farnborough Common, Farnborough Way and Sevenoaks Road before finishing within the borough at Hewitts Roundabout)
  • The A232 (starts on the borough boundary with Croydon at Wickham Road and comprises West Wickham High Street, Glebe Way and Croydon Road before meeting the A21 at Farnborough Common).

All enquiries that relate to these locations should  be directed to TfL - highway licences

Applying for a licence 

When applying for a licence, please complete the following steps:

1.  We only take applications from organisations who have previously arranged successful events in partnership with us, and registered charities. Any applicant that falls outside this shall have their application automatically rejected. 

2. Both banners and poppies have their own terms and conditions that must be met before either the council or its ground maintenance contractor idverde will authorise their licencing. Please ensure that you read these before you apply:

Terms and conditions banners

Read terms and conditions for banners.

Terms and conditions for poppies

Poppies may only be placed on any item of street furniture for which the London Borough of Bromley has given its permission, and are not permitted on pedestrian railings as these may hinder the view of drivers and/or distract them when approaching a junction/crossing. 

Licences authorising poppies will be authorised for a period of around two weeks leading up to 11 November/Remembrance Sunday, whichever is later. Bromley Council reserves the right to make alterations to this period on any application. 

3. Once you are sure you can comply with the terms and conditions please complete our online application form. Please note as part of this you must provide evidence of public liability insurance which must:

  • Be valid for the period of the proposed licence.
  • Have a minimum value of £2 million.
  • Indemnify both the London Borough of Bromley and the applicant against damages to person and property. 

If applying for a banner you must also attach evidence of written permission of the property owners.

Please also note that the granted licence period will also include the installation and removal operations, so please consider these when making your application. 

The responsibility for obtaining and following all regulations of the licence will be solely that of the applicant. 

Any objects found affixed to Bromley Council owned street furniture that:
•    Are unlicenced
•    Are placed in contravention of the licence conditions. 
•    Have damaged or altered the street furniture in question in any way

May result in the responsible person/applicant incurring a penalty charge and/or a request that the objects are removed. 

Bromley High Street

Should you need to access Bromley High Street as part of your licence, you will also require a vehicle access permitPlease ensure you allow Bromley Council two working days before the required date to process the permit. 

Licence Conditions

Once your application has been approved you will be issued with a licence that will contain certain conditions to ensure that other highway users are safeguarded while the object(s) is/are in-situ. We reserve the right to add extra conditions depending upon the location and nature of the object. If this applies to your application they will be listed under the special conditions on the licence.

Licence costs

We do not charge to grant a banner licence which authorises the object in question to be on or over the highway legally. However you may incur charges for the use of the cross road banner fixings in Beckenham and Penge High Street by the respective owners. 

Apply for a licence

Please allow 2 working days for your application to be processed

Complete banner licence application form


Anyone who believes that they have been unfairly refused a licence can appeal

Appeal a refused licence

Data protection and privacy

For information on how we will use, process and store your personal data please see our privacy notice.